vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


27 June 2021

fathers of invention


At top left is George Klein who came up with, among many other things, the electric wheelchair and the Canadarm for the Space Shuttle.

At top right is Abraham Gesner who helped light up our world with kerosene.

At bottom left is Alexander Graham Bell best known for inventing the telephone, but he also came up with the metal detector and the hydrofoil. 

At bottom right is Joseph-Armand Bombardier who was the founder of Bombardier whose most famous invention was the snowmobile. 

for Sunday Stamps - inventions and discoveries

5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

Very interesting stamps! I like that you show the whole sheet, with the selvage.

My inventions, here.

Joy said...

The wonder of stamps, the catchy Canadarm name has stuck in my mind from when it was one of the stamps I received on a Canadian postcard and wondered what it was. I never thought about who invented it, like the cogs.
My inventions are here

Bob Scotney said...

I had not heard of Klein and Gesner - interesting set for this sheet.
Here's mine - https://bit.ly/3xWDhZZ

viridian said...

My contribution is here:
http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2021/06/sunday-stamps-inventions-and-inventors.html

LiT Web Studio said...

That's a wonderful set ... I always love to see a complete sheet, with full margins. By the way, in Italy, they prefer to credit Antonio Meucci with the invention of the telephone! Here's my post on Information Technology.