vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


20 March 2022

Ukrainians

 Traditional Headdresses of Ukrainian Women

a souvenir sheet from 2006
Ubrus and fur cap (Kyivan Rus)
Kerchiefs (Kyiv)
Namitka (Western Polissia)
Garland (Poltava)
Kerchief (Hutsul)
Koda (Bukovyna)
Kerchief (Central Ukraine)
Ochipok (Poltava)
Namitka (Hutsul)
Ochipok (Poltava)
Kerchief over Ochipok (Chernihiv)
Garland (Ivano-Frankivsk)

Canada has the third most number of Ukrainians (behind Ukraine and Russia). William Kurelek (1927-1977) was born in Canada to Ukrainian immigrants. Four of his paintings of The Ukrainian Pioneer are on these stamps for the 100th anniversary of the first wave of Ukrainian immigration (1991). 

Family Before a Vast Forest, Farmer in a Lush Field of Wheat, Group of Emigrants on the Deck of a Ship, and Barefoot Girl Going Out to Beg for Food

For Sunday Stamps - Ukraine

7 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

The headdresses are real works of art, and they make wonderful stamps. I also love the Ukranian-Canadian paintings, their colours are fab.

Here you can see my Ukranian stamp for today.

Joy said...

Love the mini sheet's calligraphy, and of course all those headdresses. The Kurelek link was fascinating, what a life and artistic journey. I found out that the Bethlem Museum of the Mind in Kent has 4 of his paintings. In passing I also noticed something for cat lovers in that they have 'Animal Therapy: The Cats of Louis Wain' as their present exhibition. Now having been completed diverted where was I, oh yes, here is the link to my Ukrainian stamps here

violet s said...

oh, have you seen the film 'The Electrical Life of Louis Wain'? I rather enjoyed it (there is never too much Benedict Cumberbatch...)

violet s said...

For someone who never wears hats, I have a love of these, and other, headdresses.

viridian said...

My heart is heavy after watching the news.
Here is my contribution:
http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2022/03/sunday-stamps-ukraine.html

M said...

Just one to be from me. here

Joy said...

Sadly not yet, good to have a recommendation.