vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


22 August 2021

jewel

Because I don't collect creepy crawlies (and I am praying that no one posts any spiders - shudder) and I forgot I had no photos anymore (cry). So I was frantically searching through my Malaysia and Taiwan postcards thinking that's where most of the bugs stamps would be...

Then I remembered these stamps from Australia which a friend picked up for me when he was travelling. These beetles only live for between one day and two weeks. Apparently they also never lose their brilliant colours even after death, so anyone is able to see them in all their beauty in the Natural History section of Museum Victoria.

These jewel beetles were illustrated by Owen Bell. The one on the left can be found in Western Australia and the one on the right is found in Victoria and New South Wales. Each one grows to 15 - 20 mm (or in old school terms slightly less than 1") As far as I am concerned that is hug.

for Sunday Stamps - bugs and creepy crawlies

I am still working on a few 'bugs' on my new desktop, and  perhaps the most annoying one is the font size. I can increased the size on the posts as I'm typing, but once it is published it goes back to point 8. On my screen it is tiny, so tiny!
How does it look on your screens?

2 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I got those beetles on an envelope. I didn't know their lives are so short!
My Canadian insects are here.

On my screen (I use a computer) the font looks the same size than in the past posts. No worries here!

Joy said...

These are beautiful, beetles are so diverse and often nicely shiny. Good luck with the desktop software. The font looks good from here.
You can rest easy there are no spiders here