vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


11 July 2021

treasures

A souvenir sheet from 2002 featuring a map of the Ramon Crater area of the Negev Desert in Israel with stamps of an ammonite, copper mineral, and a fish fossil. I can understand the fish reaching into the selvidge, but it would be a little disappointing  to be missing the edge of the stone or the ammonite on the stamp. The blue green gemstone is an Eilat stone of several copper minerals including turquoise, malachite, azurite and is the national stone of Israel. 

for Sunday Stamps - geology


 

6 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Great sheet. I have a large ammonite like this one in our garden. It came from a British ironstone mine.

violet s said...

ooh, I bet that looks impressive!

Mail Adventures said...

I agree it would be difficult to send the stamp without the selvage. All together, they make a great set.

My minerals are here.

Joy said...

Very nice. I agree what is an ammonite without its full swirl, the fish loses a bit of its awesomeness without the mouth.
My geology is here

LiT Web Studio said...

Just dropping by to say hello! Sorry I didn't manage to post today (distracted by Wimbledon!) But this is a great souvenir sheet ... a love of fossils is one of those things that stays with us from childhood I think.

violet s said...

I understand :)
sorry about Berrettini.
Italy still has a chance for euro2020