vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


21 June 2015

Sunday Stamps II - 27

The Mole and the Rocket (Krtek a raketa) 2013
Designer Zdenek Miler and Otakar Karlas (who adjusted the original design to fit the stamp)

Krtek, or Mole, is a cartoon character originally created by Zdenek Miler in 1956. Miler wanted his mole to be understood all over the world, so the cartoons have a distinct lack of dialogue, using instead non-figurative exclamations to express Moles's feelings and perceptions. Miler's own daughters did the voice-overs. The Mole and the Rocket was a 9 minute film made in 1965 where Mole crash lands on a deserted sea island and makes friends with a crab who helps him find the lost parts of his rocket. There have been around 50 of these short (approximately 5 minute) cartoons made with the last one in 2002. Miler died in 2011 at age 91.

for cartoons, or children's drawings

5 comments:

Joy said...

I've had postcards sent of this little mole character and always love all the little details on them. Such a fun stamp, I would like to travel on the rocket with him.

FinnBadger said...

I loved this guy when I was younger.

VioletSky said...

Until a month ago, I'd never heard of him!

Mail Adventures said...

I discovered Krtek thanks to postcards. I didn't know there were stamps too.

Heleen said...

I missed this Sunday Stamps and also this stamp. Lovely and beautiful stamp!
I used to watch Krtek (in our country known as Molletje = little mole) as a child, and about ten years ago some of the (longer) movies were issued here as a dvd box. I bought it to have the kids watch, but in fact I enjoyed it as much as they did, too. Most of the movies I think real/'just' amusement, but some of them show also issues which still are actual, for instance on pollution, urbanization, industralisation/environment..