vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


22 July 2018

Sunday Stamps - 'W'

1955, Rhodesia and Nyasaland

David Livingstone was the first European to set eyes on these waterfalls of the Zambezi River which he named after Queen Victoria. Until the railroad was built in 1905, very few other Europeans visited the area.  By 1955, it was possible to fly over the falls.  Livingstone can be seen in the foreground being carried by his servants. During the wet season, the width of the falls can grow to almost 1 mile wide. It is divided into five separate falls: Devils Cataract, Main Falls, Horseshoe Falls, Rainbow Falls, and the Eastern Cataract.

for the letter W - waterfalls

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

An incredible view!

FinnBadger said...

It was a long time ago, but I have visited the falls. They are amazing. I had to walk on my own two feet, though!

Ana said...

there is something odd about that plane on the stamp - don't know if I have watched too many movies, but it gives me the impression of being like an enemy-plane... wish I could see those waterfalls in person - still haven't set my foot in Africa

Bob Scotney said...

Waterfalls appear on many stamps but this is one of the best I've seen.