vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


15 July 2018

Sunday Stamps - 'V'

1996, Japan International Letter Writing Week
artist Katsushika Hokusai

Red Mt Fuji at Dawn,  around 1830 by Ukiyo-e artist Hokusai who was by then in his 70s. Ukiyo-e artists were well known for their wood block prints during the Edo period (1600-1868).  This stamp shows one of the '36 views of Mt Fuji', a series that shows Mt Fuji from different locations and in different seasons and weather.  Mt Fuji is on the island of Honshu and last erupted in 1708.

for the letter V - volcano


4 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I'm sure I have some volcano stamps somewhere but don't think I can beat this one.

Mail Adventures said...

The International Letter Writing Week are really special. I've seen two or three of them in person, only. The colour on this one are wonderful! And very well chosen theme for V!

FinnBadger said...

I haven't seen the other stamps for this week, and already I think you have 'won'. I love Mount Fuji in general, despite never having been to Japan, and this stamp is absolutely stunning. Plus, great choice of word for the letter V.

Ana said...

I've seen this image before but I don't think it was on a stamp - it is stunning!