vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


31 August 2026

lake ontario

This week, I'm starting a new series on the Great Lakes starting with  the most contentious name

Ontario is an indigenous word from the Huron-Wendat meaning variously "sparkling water" or "great lake".  It has been in use since at least 1640 by the settlers and from people who lived here for over 1,000 years.  Names matter

Rochester, the largest U.S. city on the shores of Lake Ontario, has a few issues with "Lake America"...


Charlotte is a neighbourhood in Rochester on the southern shore of Lake Ontario.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope most of the US has a few issues with "Lake America." What an embarrassment...

violet s said...

I feel for you having this ludicrous name change on your google maps

FinnBadger said...

Crazy how fast they capitulated. Such a lot of nonsense. Thanks for starting this series!