vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


05 September 2024

arches

The Huron Street Bridge

One of the most photographed spots in Stratford, this bridge was built in 1885.  It was meant to be a triple arch, but the river (Avon) was too narrow, and now it is the only double arched aqueduct road bridge still in use for road traffic in North America.

Below is the Stone Arch Bridge, built 1847.  It has a 90 foot span and a 60 foot arch at its centre making it "the largest stone arch in New England".  It is now part of the Cheshire Rail Trail.


5 comments:

Joy said...

No need for me to wonder what nationality the settlers were who built the bridges all those years ago.
My bridges are here

Lisa said...

Funny the river was too narrow! You'd have thought would have been obvious before planning. A lot of the bridges seem to have claims of the "largest," or the "longest."
Mine:
https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/09/thursday-postcard-hunt-bridges-of-stone.html

marina said...

I just realized I liked bridges today. The ones you are showing look well-constructed and solid.

violet s said...

Welcome aboard, Marina! Bridges are my favourite, right up there with lighthouses.
And, yes Lisa, these claims remind me of the ubiquitous "world's best..."

Mail Adventures said...

Very nice postcards, and interesting stories. But I thought one studies the width of the river before building a bridge! :D

My special bridge here.