vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


01 August 2024

monuments

 Minsk is a city of monuments and sculptures

In Tallinn there is a memorial to the Russian warship Russalka that sank (in 1893) somewhere in the direction this angel is facing.  Estonia was part of Russia at the time, though this was the first statue in the country made by an Estonian.  

The sculptor's housekeeper was the model for the angel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here in Canada, overlooking the Niagara River, is a tall monument to Sir Isaac Brock who died in the Battle of Queenston Heights during the War of 1812 (the only war fought in the country)


 some monuments to history

7 comments:

Joy said...

That is a very tall column. I have a Guernsey FDC issued for his 200th birthday, no wonder the monument didn't feature.
My memorials are here

Four-eyed-missy said...

That’s a really interesting story about the Tallinn angel! It’s fascinating that the sculptor used his housekeeper as a model. I wonder what inspired that choice. Most often, we hear about artists using family or friends.

El Ángel, the Pride of Mexico

marina said...

Great postcard the first one. But I really like the angel and the fact the model was the housekeeper.

marina said...

Missy, I think they were lovers! :-)

Lisa said...

I like the Minsk of the sculpture on the bench. My city has a lot of that sort of thing, but no postcards of them.

Mine:

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/08/thursday-postcard-hunt-statues-and.html

Mail Adventures said...

These are impressive. When I see a statue I wonder what is the origin. Sometimes I get disappointed when there is no explanation though.

My postcard is here.

violet s said...

Yes! I spent far too long trying find info on the Minsk sculptures before finally giving up.