vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


26 August 2024

albert hall

 

Opened 1871 and dedicated to Prince Albert, who by then had been dead for 10 years. It is a grade I listed building, which means it's a building of 'exceptional interest'. At one time it held up to 9,000 people but safety rules now limit it to around 5.400. Although I have never been, nor have I seen it on tv, I generally associate the Albert Hall with the Proms, an eight week daily festival of mostly classical music. Each night has a different theme.  Tonight's prom is Doctor Who Prom!
(if you're watching it, Joy, I want to know what you thought)

1 comment:

Joy said...

Sadly not seen it yet as it was shown this afternoon (Monday) when I wasn't around but think they are going to repeat it. I did hear the composer Murray Gold's interview and it sounded as though it would be quite spectacular.