vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


21 July 2024

firsts

Australia has some of the most delightful stamps, so it is always disappointing to get one of these...

Ah well, they will once again be competing, as they have done in every Summer Games since 1896, and that will not disappoint.
They were the first country outside Europe or North America, and the first in the southern hemisphere, to host the Games. 



The first, and so far, only, South American country to host the Games was Brazil.  They had first tried to host in 1936, but lost out to Germany.  They trumpeted their own horn again in 2020 by being only the second nation to surpass its medal count in the Games following the one it hosted.


Indonesia is first among the Southeast Asian countries in overall medals, most of them for badminton, which doesn't get much tv coverage.  This little birdie is a Sangihe Honey Bird.  It is also difficult to see, not least because it is so tiny (12cm).


While searching my South Korea postcards (ed: and, yes I was so excited to find this stamp that I somehow put the country in southern hemisphere) I found this fortuitous stamp (albeit from the winter games)


southern hemisphere for Sunday Stamps

7 comments:

Four-eyed-missy said...

Love the stamp selection this week, even the "disappointing" one! Australia's strong outdoor culture definitely contributes to their Olympic dominance. Brazil’s hosting of the Games was also impressive. Badminton is such a fast-paced sport, and Indonesia is a powerhouse in Southeast Asian games. I was lucky enough to watch them win gold live at the 2023 SEA Games in Cambodia!

Kiwi on Kiwi

Mail Adventures said...

You have a full representation here!

My Southern stamps are here.

Joy said...

Good fun facts. Olympic coverage is a bit of a lottery as to which country you are resident, we do have badminton as is popular here and have a few participants. I'm usually looking in vain for volleyball (indoor variety)
My southern hemisphere stamps are here

Lisa said...

Such a pretty little bird on that stamp.
I am disappointed when I get a pretty stamp and the sender has sealed the envelope with extra tape, covering the stamp.

Mine:

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/07/sunday-stamps-july-21-2024.html

marina said...

I like the graphic on the Brazil stamp, but the little bird is super cute. I am confused about Korea being in the southern hemisphere.... It appears to be in the Northern...but, who am I? :-)

violet s said...

you are right... not sure where my mind was at!

marina said...

oh, thanks, I was beginning to doubt the map I was referring to....