vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


28 July 2024

caribbean

Bahamas has only competed in the summer games - this will be their 18th.  All their medals have been in sailing or athletics.  

Jamaica, on the other hand, has competed in both the summer and winter games, with an unlikely, but infamous, bobsleigh team.  All their 88 medals, save one for cycling, were for athletics.  They are killer runners.

Another team that sent athletes to compete with Jamaica in bobsleigh was Trinidad and Tobago.  They are also good runners, having won most of their summer medals in athletics.  Vervine is also known as Verbena in NA and the UK

some of the smaller countries in the western hemisphere

8 comments:

Four-eyed-missy said...

Great stamps! Love seeing the diversity of the Caribbean through your stamps. And who could forget the Jamaican bobsled team? I watched the movie as well! lol

A Taste of Lusophony

Mail Adventures said...

I like to read about the Olympic Games as much as watching the competitions (some of them). We also have verbena here :)

My Western stamps are here.

Joy said...

I didn't know verbena is medicinal.
Only a week to wait for the Jamaicans to be powering down the track.
Countries of the western side of the globe are here

Lisa said...

I don't know why I was surprised by the orca. Many countries have images of things not native, but in this case orca are native! I looked them up. I never knew they had such a large range. Basically everywhere! I live in the PNW, and always thought orca were more a Washington, Alaska thing. Stamps continue to be educational.

Oh, yes, the bobsled team! Fun movie.

Mine:

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/07/sunday-stamps-july-28-2024.html

Marina said...

Thanks for the Olympic tidbits info on the “caliente” countries. Love the orca stamp.

violet s said...

Eva, I get so caught up in ALL the drama of the Olympics - reading and watching!

violet s said...

Lisa and Marina - Orcas, and all whales are so cool. I think in addition to Shark Week, we should also have a Whale of a Week. Orcas feature quite often on Shark Week.

viridian said...

My contribution is here:
https://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2024/07/sunday-stamps-western-hemisphere.html