vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


09 May 2024

a mighty river

Finding rivers on postcards turned out to be more challenging than I anticipated!

the Mississippi River (in Iowa)

and somewhere else, pushing the barges, which I think would be quite something to watch.

 
It starts in northern Minnesota and flows for around 2,340 miles (3,766 kms) on its way to the Gulf of Mexico.  Its total drainage basin is 1,151,00 sq mi (2,980,000 km2)
 
and now a detour for a musical interlude, The New Christy Minstrels

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

The Mississippi is quite a river!
I found some "urban" ones, see here.

Joy said...

Iconic river,so vast. Love watching river traffic when on holiday.
I have stayed on the river banks here

Lisa said...

Oh, Mississippi... I remember learning how to spell it in school. I'm not sure why we needed to, this was in CA! Right now the postage stamps I'm using are the "Mighty Mississippi" sheet of ten.

My rivers:

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/05/thursday-postcard-hunt-rivers.html

marina/ said...

The Mississippi river always amazes me...