vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


07 April 2024

return of the sun

We are in the exciting grips (and endless media coverage) of Eclipse fever in my part of the world and are praying for a clear day - or at the very least, a clear hour between 3 pm and 4 pm tomorrow!

this is called 'return of the sun' by Inuit artist Kenojuak (1980)



and below, we have the Europa 'flaming sun' from 1972


showing the sun over Niagara Falls, Hopewell Rocks, and Spillars Cove in Newfoundland and Labrador
I have my glasses ready!  Happy viewing to anyone who is in the path of totality, or even in the outskirts (sorry, Eva!)

6 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I'm afraid I have to wait until 2026 to enjoy an eclipse in my coin of the world :)

I hope you will have a great day tomorrow! See here the weather forecast.

Joy said...

Wow your postal service is on the ball with the eclipse, nice cancel. Enjoy tomorrow.
My sunny days are here

marina said...

I love Inuit art, the first stamp is really awesome. Europa stamps are always great, in my opinion.

viridian said...

I am in the path of totality, and have my glasses ready. I have loosely followed the theme:
https://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2024/04/sunday-stamps-sun.html

Lisa said...

The Inuit Return of the Sun is cute! We had a partial, quite a lot, eclipse here in Oct. I can only imagine how exciting a total one will be. I hope there are clear skies for everyone in its path.

Mine:

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/04/sunday-stamps-sun-and-sunny-days.html

FinnBadger said...

The return of the sun stamp is really special, and I love the eclipse stamp design. No new eclipse stamp for the US, probably since they issued one in 2017. My stamps are here: http://envelope100.blogspot.com/2024/04/the-sun.html