vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


15 February 2024

free public libraries

 A Tudor Revival style Carnegie library built in 1904

A Classical Revival style Carnegie library built in 1906. It was praised by the local newspaper for its "tasteful simplicity"

Most Carnegie Libraries have a distinct style with variations, making them immediately identifiable in any small town. Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie would give grants to build a library to almost any town that requested and agreed to conditions.

Vancouver had a Carnegie library but after a couple of moves for newer and bigger locations, in 1995, a Roman Revival* library was built to resemble the current day Colosseum.

*not a real term, I made it up

some free public buildings for Thursday Postcard Hunt

5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I guess the idea of simplicity has changed during the last century... Anyway, I love seeing postcards about libraries. Maybe every town should issue one, whatever the style of its library! Even if it is a Roman Revival building ;)

My postcards are on this post.

Joy said...

There are some Carnegie Libraries in towns near me, like you say all different, a great worldwide legacy.
My buildings are here

Lisa said...

Thank you for posting this on the A to Z April Blogging Challenge site! I love postcards and I love stamps, so thought I'd join in.
Libraries is a great pick for public buildings. I've visited almost all of the branches in my system, but alas, no postcards, just photos.

Thanks,
Lisa

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/02/thursday-postcard-hunt-public-buildings.html

marina said...

What an interest story about the Carnegie library! I learn so much from these postcards! The first listed is so cute. The round one is original....

violet s said...

So many small towns had postcards of their library back in the early part of the century.
I don't know what I think of the Vancouver library, but I've never seen it in person.