vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


21 January 2024

most beloved

 

I have two stamps of Colette, a French writer whose full name was Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette (28 Jan 1873 - 3 Aug 1954). She wrote Gigi, which was the basis of one of my favourite films (the 1958 one with Leslie Caron)
From the most beloved writer of France to the best beloved writer of Scotland, Rabbie Burns whose 265th birthday this week inspired this theme. This rosy cheeked portrait is by Alexander Naysmith
Maybe I should have chosen this theme for next week when it would have been Colette's 151st birthday, but I hadn't decided on the second writer at the time.

9 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I thought there is a more recent stamp of Colette, but I'm not able to find it.

My American writers on this post.

FinnBadger said...

Great stamps, and thank you, you took me down memory lane to a few decades ago twhen i was living in Glasgow and attended my last Burns Supper. Link to the writer I chose today: https://envelope100.blogspot.com/2024/01/jose-de-sousa-saramago.html?m=1

Joy said...

Attractive Collette stamps. I liked the film of her life with Keira Knightly in the title role.
My poet is here

violet s said...

There are quite a few Burns Suppers around where I live, but the only one I remember ever having was also decades ago with family in Glasgow!

violet s said...

There was probably a Colette stamp issued last year for her 150th anniversary of her birth?

FinnBadger said...

Crazy coincidence! My Burns suppers in Glasgow would have been 1996 and 1997.

violet s said...

Mine would have been a bit earlier. Maybe 1993?

viridian said...

My contribution is here:
https://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2024/01/sunday-stamps-writers.html

marina said...

Beautiful stamps: Colette's stamps almost whimsical, and Burns' stamp is "handsome" (I like that there is no frame).