vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


29 October 2023

silver fern

The All Blacks are New Zealand's national rugby team. They are often regarded as the most successful team in history. 2010, when this stamp was issued, was seen as the team's best ever. They would go on to win the Rugby World Cup in 2011. (they also won in 1987 and 2015).  On Saturday, they played the Springboks of South Africa in the men's final. It was the Springboks, not the All Blacks, who won an historic fourth World Cup after a hard fought game. (NZ11-12SA). Commiserations to NZ.

full disclosure: when I chose this theme and this stamp, it was weeks before I knew the final would be this weekend, and obviously before I knew who would be playing. Serendipity at its finest.

4 comments:

viridian said...

Here is My contribution today:
https://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2023/10/sunday-stamps-black-and-white.html

Joy said...

I do like stamp serendipity.
The silver screen is my theme here

marina said...

Such a simple and pretty design!

Mail Adventures said...

I love the coincidence. And the stamp, of course! :D

Some black and white portraits on this post.