vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


25 June 2023

indian topi

The 'Gandhi cap' was favoured by Nehru (1889-1964), India's first Prime Minister. Gandhi wanted a cap that could cover his head in hot weather and be easily folded to fit in a pocket.  It is made of homespun cotton.



The Puneri Pagadi, here worn by Lokmanya Tilak, is a distinctive style of turban considered a symbol of pride and honour in the city of Pune. It was given a Geographical Indication tag as the intellectual property of Pune in 2009. It is made of strips of red satin.

 

Bal Gangadhar Tilak (1856-1920), also known as Lokmanya, was called "the maker of modern India" by Gandhi. Whatever else he thought about India as "my Motherland and my Goddess, the people in India as my kith and kin, and loyal and steadfast work for their social emancipation is my highest duty", he was strongly opposed to any women's rights and social reforms against caste.

 some headwear for Sunday Stamps


4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

Thanks for the info. I think I have these stamps, but I had never considered the caps :) "Modern country" without equality of rights is a strange idea, anyway.

My headgear stamps are on this post.

Joy said...

An interesting origin story about the Gandhi hat. Always indelibly linked with his Nehru jacket.
My hats are being worn here

viridian said...

My contribution is here:
http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2023/06/sunday-stamps-hats.html

marina said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this week theme: I did not realize how many different hat are there and they all have a name. Here is my contribution: postcardsetc.wordpress.com/2023/06/25/sunday-stamps-hats/