vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


19 September 2021

on the waterfront

 

I love how the Clyde Auditorium (on the banks of the River Clyde) is now known by the nickname given to it by the people of Glasgow. It opened in 1997 and the name was officially changed in 2017.  It has an auditorium that seats over 3,000 people.

In Oslo, the new Opera House (opened in 2008 and winner of Culture Building of the Year in 2009 ) was photographed by PETTER KARLSTRØM. Built on the banks of the Oslofjord, it is Norway's first purpose built opera house and is the largest cultural building constructed in Norway since 1300.

for Sunday Stamps - post war architecture


5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

The name of "armadillo" isn't evident on that stamp, but it is if you look at the whole building :) And Oslo's Opera House... it seems a large ship!

My stamp is here.

violet s said...

I agree. But it does show the only windows in the building!
And I would visit Oslo simply to experience this opera house - inside and out.

Joy said...

I always enjoy the nicknames of buildings, never as boring as the original. I like the visual effect of the opera house floating on the stamp.
My buildings are here

violet s said...

And the Brits seem to excel at these nicknames. We never do that and I think we are missing out on so much fun.

viridian said...

Here is my contribution:
http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2021/09/sunday-stamps-modern-architecture.html