vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


10 January 2021

up, up, and away

 

A spherical pressurized aluminum gondola took Auguste Piccard up into the stratosphere in for the first time in 1931.  He would make 27 trips upwards, finally reaching a record breaking 14 miles above ground.   It is possible that he was the first to see the curvature of the earth. Piccard was a Swiss physicist, inventor, and explorer (1884-1962).   He had a twin brother named Jean and they were the inspiration behind the name of Starfleet Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

for Sunday Stamps - science

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

A very interesting stamp and story. I like the colours, too.

My science-related stamps areon this post.

Joy said...

I like the patchwork of fields with the road twisting through.
My scientists are here

Bob Scotney said...

The Pfizer jab has given us that up-up-and-away feeling today.

I found some Nobel Prize winners - https://bit.ly/3hZLgi7

viridian said...

My Science stamp is here: a famous scientist.
http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2021/01/sunday-stamps-science.html