vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


26 July 2020

turtles


The spotted turtle (Clemmys guttata) is on the left, while Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii)  is peeking out on the right. Both are illustrated by Sarah Still (these are very different than her larger than life paintings)


I'm not sure why he is Franklin in English and Benjamin in French, but this Canadian turtle is illustrated by Brenda Clark with the stories written by Paulette Bourgeois






for Sunday Stamps - illustrations

5 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Clemmy and Blandings are great stamps from a gifted illustrator.

My attempted illustrations are here https://bit.ly/3g2Pvb9

Mail Adventures said...

I found this in the author's site:

"Why is Franklin called, Benjamin, in the French Scholastic books?
In the beginning, the editors at French Scholastic thought Franklin should have a name familiar to French-speaking children. In the early years, Franklin had different names in different countries. He was once called, Dorkus, Patrick, and Morten! When there was more merchandise, movies, and DVD’s it was decided that each foreign publisher would have to keep the name, Franklin the Turtle."

My illustrated stamps are here

violet s said...

yeah, I saw that, too. I still don't think Franklin is a very common name for English Canadian children, nor does Benjamin sound particularly French.

Joy said...

Love Sarah Still's turtles, a versatile wildlife artist, I like her parrot in the link. Whatever the name those turtles are cute.
My illustrations are here

FinnBadger said...

That mini sheet is fantastic.

My stamp today: All for one, and one for all!