vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


05 July 2020

st kilda


Life on St Kilda, a remote archipelago in the Outer Hebrides - 110 miles off the coast of Scotland and 40 miles from the next nearest island - in the rough Atlantic ocean, was never easy. The island had been occupied for millennia = though not by very many people - but by 1930 the last 36 inhabitants were finally evacuated. The National Trust for Scotland has recorded gales for 75 days a year with peak winds at 144 mph and peak waves at 52 feet. 

for Sunday Stamps - land and sea

4 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

That's a place I've always wanted to visit - but I don't like wind and rough seas as depicted here.
My {land) and sea stamps are https://bit.ly/2BFAhcX

Mail Adventures said...

Outer Hebrides is a dream trip. I hope to be there some day!

You can see here my stamps. Also windy spots!

Joy said...

My favourite stamp of that set. What must it have been like to hunker down with the wind and sea raging across the island.
My land and sea has a rather different climate here

FinnBadger said...

A lovely stamp, and a wild place to live.

My stamps for today are here.