vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


31 May 2020

old town

The Old Town of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia is an Unesco World Heritage Site

The Lunenburg Academy was built in 1895 and still used as a school until 2012.
It is also a National Historic Site.

Although tourism is now the main business in Lunenburg, it used to be shipbuilding, with its most famous, the Bluenose, having been built here in 1921 and the Bluenose II in 1963 and the Bounty, a reconstruction of HMS Bounty in 1961.



this 1982 stamp of the 1929 Bluenose stamp shows mostly the sails, but there is lots of wood underneath.



for Sunday Stamps - things made of wood

6 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Love stamps that show wooden houses like these.

My wooden stamps are at https://bit.ly/2MdnNee

Mail Adventures said...

I loved these kind of wooden houses when I visited Canada and the north of Europe, and their vivid colours. We don't have those here!

My wooden things.

violet s said...

These painted houses are unique to the east coast; we don't see anything like it where I am either, and I think that is sad.

Joy said...

I like the academy as part boat on the stamp. An imposing building but the wooden houses have my heart, or perhaps its that golden boat. My wooden house is here

FinnBadger said...

Lovely stamps.

My stamp for today is here: Juguetes

Ana said...

Those wooden houses are like from a fairy tale scene!

My wooden share