vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


15 March 2020

celebrate

We have had Christmas stamps since 1964, but in 2017, there were finally stamps issued to celebrate other religious holidays. Diwali and Hanukka were the other two celebrations.
I have always been attracted to Islamic art and architecture, and love the Arabic script, which here translates as "have a blessed (or, happy) Eid". Turquoise is often seen on Persian and Turkish tiles that cover the walls of the mosques. The deep blue and yellow is also inspired by islamic architecture as is the geometric design.

In another type of celebration stamp, this gift has been wrapped up in paper for birthdays, weddings, Valentines, Christmas, and any other celebration you can think of for which you may want to mail a package. It was my birthday yesterday, but I didn't get any packaged gifts, wrapped or otherwise. (I did get a few postcards) Most places here have now closed, so plans have been cancelled. At the moment restaurants are still open so perhaps I will eat out with friends (since the grocery stores have been emptied out by panic buying hoarders)

Hoping that everyone is well. and getting through any self isolation with calm.
for Sunday Stamps - celebrations

5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I like the aid stamps. I remember it as a big celebration when I lived in Morocco.

In Spain we're confined at home.

My celebration and no-celebration stamps are here.

Bob Scotney said...

It will be interesting to see what celebrations are celebrated today - as elderly people we are expecting to be told to stay at home in the near future. I'm expecting to see anniversary celebrations but I've looked elsewhere - http://bit.ly/2TOrWdo

FinnBadger said...

I love the postmark on the Eid stamp - just beautiful.

No enforced isolation yet here, but I am sure it is inevitable.

My celebration for today

Joy said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday. Strange times, hope you keep well.
My celebrations are here

viridian said...

My contribution is here: https://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2020/03/sunday-stamps-celebrations.html