vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


22 December 2019

gifts of the magi



The fun secular Christmas stamps seem to be more popular than the more serious religious ones. Above, illustrated by Michael Little, closes the gap a little, I think (my own unscientific survey).

In 1965, this stamp featuring the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh was issued.

And in 1964, the very first Christmas stamp,
showing a family looking out at the Christmas star.

Both of these early stamps were issued in 3 and 5 cent denominations with the 5 cent used for regular sealed letters and the 3 cent for unsealed Christmas cards.
for Sunday Stamps - Christmas, religious

Wishing Everyone A Happy Christmas

7 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I almost posted these as well. Canada produces neat stamps for Christmas.

My religious take is here - http://bit.ly/2PLyOpI

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

Joy said...

The card is a beautiful combination of both visitors. I like those early stamps, so distinctive.
My stamps of the Christmas story are here

FinnBadger said...

I do like that Canadian stamp featuring the wise men. I'm a bit of a sucker for camels on stamps :)


My entry this week
Away in a Manger

violet s said...

camels on stamps ... not very common I think!

violet s said...

I'm rather fond of engraved stamps :)

FinnBadger said...

The Portuguese stamps this year feature the three wise men on their camels and the designs are stunning.

Mail Adventures said...

Stamps with the Magi are among my favourite stamps :)

I think everyone has seen my stamps, but just in case... Here is my delayed link!