vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


17 November 2019

a sweet insect

The Western honeybee (Apis mellifera) are native to Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. But with some human intervention and interbreeding of the many subspecies, They are now found everywhere in the world except Antarctica.  The queens live for about 2-5 years but the workers lifespan is only a few weeks. The bees will forage within a range of about 3 km of their hive.
Whenever I go to a farmer's market, I will usually buy a jar of local honey, as each location will produce a slightly different flavour depending on what pollen and nectar they have found.

for Sunday Stamps - insects

3 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I love to see the bees, both on stamps and flying around my flowers. Nice stamp!

See here my insects.

Joy said...

The coloured beehives in Greece always look pretty stood on a hillside.
My insects are here

Bob Scotney said...

Bees essential to us all. Never see enough in our garden.

My insects are here http://bit.ly/2KJgcUL