vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


19 October 2019

perambulating

I was maybe about Princess Elizabeth's age when a friend of my mother's gave us a pram for me to use. Mine was much larger than hers, being for a real baby and not a doll. Being too small to reach the handle, my poor mother — who was already 42 when I was born — endured the astonished looks and questions from neighbours about another new baby while she pushed it herself with me walking in between her and the carriage.

I remember that it had what may have been uncomfortable boards for the baby/doll to lie on that could be taken out so you could store blankets and extra clothes (or secret stuff?) underneath.
I also remember trying to dress up the cat and take him for walks. In my mind, he loved the experience.














6 comments:

Mike Brubaker said...

A neat set. Some modern perambulators seem designed for running triathlons or trekking across the Gobi Desert. Do you suppose the Queen has her pram stored in the attic of Buckingham Palace read to give to some deserving great grandchild?

La Nightingail said...

My grandmother gave me a wonderful perambulator for our first-born which was the used for the next two kiddos to come along as well. I loved pushing that thing. Not only was it a very handsome buggy which drew looks, but it rode like a Cadillac over gravel roads and open ground which is important when you live in the woods!

Alex Daw said...

Great photos. I believe I used to take a leaf for a walk. Don't know why I didn't take my dolls for a walk. ????

Molly's Canopy said...

Wonderful story and illustrations. Hard to choose which one I like best! The nice thing about the old prams is the baby could face the pusher of the pram, or the sky -- although I am sure inquisitive babies like the new, outward facing ones to take in the world.

virginiaallain said...

My family tells the story of my brother shoving my baby carriage down the stairs with me in it. I survived to tell the tale though I don't personally remember it.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great baby buggies...and how they have changed since gran's day!