vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


28 July 2019

Sunday Stamps - W

Continuing from last week's theme, here is a humpback whale. This one, however, is of least concern on the conservation status. They live in all of the oceans and are known to have some of the longest migrations of any mammal.  Locally, there are about 4,000 in the Northwest Atlantic and 18,000 in the North Pacific (though, because of their travels, it is hard to know for certain). Their scientific name "Megaptera novaeangliae" translates to "large winged from New England".

for the letter W - whale

... as we are nearing the end of this round, I would like to ask if there is still interest in continuing? We seem to have lost a few people along the way, but I am happy to keep going. I enjoy seeing your postings and would be sad to have this end. 

7 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I, for one, am having a whale of a time on Sunday Stamps which gives me the incentive to find out more on those in my collections. Please keep up the good work.

My W is here - http://bit.ly/2MuDLCr

violet s said...

I'm glad. You have such a cool collection of older stamps.

Bryon D said...

I’m not a contributor but I am a reader and always enjoy catching up with Sunday Stamps each weekend. Keep going! :)

Mail Adventures said...

I love this stamp. I think I have received it myself, but I can't find it in my folders now.

Here you have the link to my W-stamp.

Regarding your question, I don't mind to continue with the Sunday Stamps party. I'd also like more people join us, but I don't know what I can do. Maybe it would be better to come back to the regular themes. I think it is easier to contribute if there isn't an alphabet ongoing. I mean, if the theme is the alphabet, maybe people feel they have to complete it. For a change, we could try other themes, like in the past. We can always make another alphabet round later!

violet s said...

thanks for visiting, Byron!

violet s said...

I know some people were irregular contributors, and they may return...
Some others, I think, ran out of steam. It happens to the best of us!
Do you know what's up with FinnBadger? I hope he's okay, and just taking a break.

Mail Adventures said...

I think FinnBadger is just taking a break, busy with other matters :)