vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


23 June 2019

Sunday Stamps - R

2003, US, Arctic Tundra
designer: Ethel Kessler
artist:  John D Dawson

It took some sleuthing to find information on this raven stamp as it is actually part of a sheet for the Nature of America series which were issued from 1999-2010. You can see the whole sheet here.
The other arctic animals are: a gyrfalcon, grizzly, vole, grey wolf, ptarmigan, grayling, ground squirrel, musk ox, and caribou.
The common raven can live for up to 21 years in the wild. It is also a highly intelligent bird and is revered as a spiritual figure in indigenous cultures of North America.

for the letter R - raven

4 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I always think of Edgar Alan Poe when I see a raven.

My link http://bit.ly/2N0NeD1

Mail Adventures said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mail Adventures said...

The whole sheet is stunning!

See here my stamp for R.

Joy said...

I love sheets that show a full scene. Clever birds, no wonder they appear in so many tales from folklore. My R is here