vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


09 June 2019

Sunday Stamps - P

2007, Canada, International Polar Year
designed by Gildo Martino

Eight countries issued stamps for International Polar Year in 2007.  The left stamp shows a male eider duck, while the right stamp shows a jellyfish.  In the centre is a cutout maple leaf.  Each stamp is 40mm X 30mm and the jelly fish is an actual size (apparently about the size of an average thumb!)  It had only recently been discovered on a subarctic polar expedition. The eider duck's migratory pattern was being studied as part of the 2007 IPY. It is considered circumpolar and is native to Greenland, Canada and Alaska.

for the letter P - Polar

4 comments:

Joy said...

I like the pop of colour against the black background. I didn't know there were jellyfish that small, let alone in the subarctic. My P is here

violet s said...

it was a surprise to me as well!

Bob Scotney said...

I recognised the eider duck, but initially thought the jelly fish was an egg!

Hope my link works - http://bit.ly/2EZhPL0

Mail Adventures said...

The jellyfish is stunning. And yes... really small!

My link: https://mailadventures.blogspot.com/2019/06/p-for-pitts.html?m=1