vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


19 May 2019

Sunday Stamps - M

1999, Canada, mask
designer: Yves Paquin

A fiftieth anniversary stamp was issued for Le Theatre du Rideau Vert, Canada's first professional French theatre company which opened in Montreal in 1949. A mask of tragedy and comedy has an outline of the two actors who founded the company with Mercedes Palomino over the face of tragedy and Yvette Brind d'Amour over the face of comedy.
The masks of tragedy and comedy date back to the amphitheatres of ancient Greece. They were worn  as an exaggerated expression for the audience (some seated far away from the stage) to recognize the different emotions.

for the letter M - mask

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I like both the themse and the illustration, how the actors and the masks overlap.

Here you will find my M-post.

Bob Scotney said...

This is one of the best stamps I've seen of masks.

I had to use a series of Latin names today - http://bit.ly/2VzdjrR

Joy said...

A nice riff on the ancient mask. My post is here

Ana said...

The left mask seems to belong to a man, the right one to a woman. The left one seems to bare the face of tragedy, the right one of comedy... at least to my eyes. Lovely stamp!

My M is for Manul