vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


14 April 2019

Sunday Stamps - H

1947, New Zealand

A semi postal stamp with postage at 2 pence and a surcharge of 1 pence for charity, which in this case was for the Children's Health Camps.  New Zealand health stamps were issued from 1929 - 2016. For this issue, the statue of Eros which had recently been returned to Piccadilly Circus after being in storage for safekeeping during WWII was chosen. The fountain with Eros was unveiled in 1893 in memory of the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury who, among other things, was remembered for his abolition of child labour.

for the letter H - health

7 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Fine stamp of this famous statue which did not need any embellishment.

Find my 'H' at http://bit.ly/2X7yuTa

FinnBadger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FinnBadger said...

I wonder why NZ stopped issuing the health series?

My link: H is for Hearts

Mail Adventures said...

This stamp seems to me older that it is.

My link to another remarkable woman, here.

Mail Adventures said...

*than

Ana said...

that is a nice H-word. It also makes me wonder why NZ would stop issuing these stamps. I wonder what is the connection between Eros and the Earl


H is for Halley

Joy said...

I like NZ's Health stamps, after the long period they were issued sad to see them go. I believe it was the decline in mail volume they gave as the reason but I am sure they must still have been making money from them. I've headed to the countryside this week here