vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


07 April 2019

Sunday Stamps - G

1977, Canada, Governors General
designer: Anthony Hobbs

Issued for the 25th anniversary of the first Canadian born Governor General, the stamp shows the crown and lion from the GG's standard with the same blue background, and the names of the (up until then) four Canadian Governors General. The GG is the Queen's personal representative.
Vincent Massey
Georges Vanier
Roland Michener
Jules Leger

for the letter G - Governor General

5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

It's a curious commemoration.

My link to the G stamp.

violet s said...

yes, it does seem a bit odd ...
but, until 1952, the GG was appointed by the sovereign, and had probably not ever spent any time in Canada. now we have a say in who is chosen.

Joy said...

I like the combination of colours, I am sure that vivid blue must have a name. My G are story tellers here

FinnBadger said...

I like that blue as well.

My G is here: Gingerbread

Bob Scotney said...

I never knew that there had been so many Governor Generals before the Canadian born ones.
My link http://bit.ly/2uQEcN5