vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


14 October 2018

Sunday Stamps - I

2015, India
designer: Kamleshwar Singh

International Day of Yoga is June 21st and was first established in 2014 by the UN.  It recognized that yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India ... and provides a holistic approach to health and well being ... and brings harmony in all walks of life and is known for disease prevention, health promotion, and management of many lifestyle related disorders.  
The stamp shows the logo of the International Day of Yoga
• folding of both hands symbolizes Yoga, a union of perfect harmony between mind and body, human and nature.
•  green leaves symbolize nature
•  blue symbolizes the water element 
•  brown leaves symbolizes the earth element
•  brightness symbolizes the fire element
•  the sun symbolizes the source of energy and inspiration

for the letter I - India, International Day of Yoga 


 

4 comments:

Maria said...

Thank you for sharing the symbolism of each of the elements of this stamp. I myself have experienced the benefits from yoga and meditation practice from an Indian guru,Sadhguru.

FinnBadger said...

I didn't know about the symbolism - thanks for sharing it today. And nice work on getting a double I.

Joy said...

Its a very calming stamp, interesting to learn of the symbolism.

Mail Adventures said...

We write ioga, with an i, in my language. So, triple i for me!
I like the design and the explanation.