vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


24 December 2017

Sunday Stamps II - 158

1977, Australia
designer: Roger Roberts

This Surfing Santa stamp was controversial when it was issued in 1977. Apparently, Santa could be too irreverent. This was only the second year a secular Christmas stamp had been issued, and the following year, AusPost returned to issuing only religious themed stamps. In 2007, it was reissued for a 50th year celebration of Christmas stamps. 
Merry Christmas to one and all!
For Christmas


5 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Many thanks for all the work you put in to keep this theme running.

This stamp always makes me envy the Aussie weather at this time of year.

FinnBadger said...

What a fun Santa!

A nice idea to still have a Christmas week for Sunday Stamps.

Hope you're having a great holiday season.

Joy said...

Fun stamp. I'd noticed when choosing my stamps this week that Australia's were all religious, now I know why.

Heleen said...

I love this stamp! And it could be reality. I was in Cairns, in the north east of Australia, Christmas 1992, and the high temperatures were in contrast with Santa who, in his santa suit and wearing a beard and christmas headware, surrounded by fake snow, almost suffered from a heat stroke. This scenery would have a big relief to this Australian Santa :-)
A pity that this stamp was controversial, as I would have loved to see more of this kind!

Mail Adventures said...

I'd like to have a hot Christmas once!