vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world
17 September 2026
royal albert bridge
Joining Plymouth in Devon to Saltash in Cornwall over the Tamar River. It was opened by Prince Albert in 1859 and would be Isambard Kingdom Brunel's last work as he died 3 months later.
What a great looking bridge and the fact that a steam locomotive is running over it just adds to the atmosphere of the image. Pity there's no smoke coming out of it.
I always liked train bridges when I was young, I still do! They often have interesting architecture. This one certainly does. Mine: https://thisandthatablog.blogspot.com/2026/09/thursday-postcard-hunt-bridges-railway.html
5 comments:
I saw a picture of this bridge where it is not red. I like the colours on this postcard best. And its unique design!
My railway bridge is here.
What a great looking bridge and the fact that a steam locomotive is running over it just adds to the atmosphere of the image. Pity there's no smoke coming out of it.
My take at the theme can be seen here.
I always liked train bridges when I was young, I still do! They often have interesting architecture. This one certainly does.
Mine:
https://thisandthatablog.blogspot.com/2026/09/thursday-postcard-hunt-bridges-railway.html
I like those solid masonry supports. Brunel certainly went out on a high note.
My bridges are here
Impressive bridge. I like the tall stone pillars!
Post a Comment