23 August 2026

most beautiful mountain in world

 Straddling the border between Switzerland and Italy, Matterhorn (German) is also known as Cervino (Italian) or Cervin (French).  It is a near symmetrical pyramidal shape, which I think shows up well in this stamp from 1962.  The shape is formed from the erosion of multiple glaciers diverging from the peak over the past 50 or 60 million years.

The stamp is part of a mountaineering series, and this might be the south view, showing Lion Ridge (Cresta del Leone) where one might climb from the Italian side, if one were so inclined (pun unintended)

San Marino is a small country of 24 square miles that is completely surrounded by Italy near the Adriatic.

7 comments:

  1. I have been to Zermatt and seen the Matterhorn in the distance. My contribution: https://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2026/08/sunday-stamps-geology.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think would prefer to admire and view it from afar, impressive stamp depiction.
    My views are here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stamps does show off the shape nicely. San Marino had a lovely series of dog stamps in 1956.
    My geology stamps are here:
    https://thisandthatablog.blogspot.com/2026/08/sunday-stamps-august-23-2026.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous stamp of Cervino peak!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa I love your soviet stamps. I can't leave a comment on your blog for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems a simple drawing, but I think it captures the essence and majesty of the rock.

    My geological formations are here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing how, using just one color and shading, the designer captured the essence of this mountain. My geology stamp is here: https://envelope100.blogspot.com/2026/08/sunday-stamps-on-monday_0807921080.html

    ReplyDelete