The Pier at Eastbourne, East Sussex built 1870 - card sent 1926
At 1000' long, the pier, designed by Eugenius Birch, was built as a promenade with six small kiosks along its length, and a pair of tollbooths at the entrance. At the time this card was sent there would have been a music pavilion, camera obscura, and two saloons. During the Second World War, part of the decking was removed and machine gun platforms were installed in the theatre. Various traditional theatres were built over the years, but after the last one was destroyed by fire in 1970 it was replaced by an amusement arcade.